[QA] [teampractices] "Testing 101" docs from Etsy

Quim Gil qgil at wikimedia.org
Thu Oct 30 11:51:23 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 8:33 PM, Gergo Tisza <gtisza at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Whether writing tests is a good task for attracting smart students is
> another question. I'd say not, although it might be no worse than the rest
> of the tasks - "cloneable" means "boring" by definition.

Remember that tasks that are boring for you today were most exciting the
first time you had to complete them.

Cloneable means that a single mentor can offer dozens of tasks easy to
create and evaluate to dozens of students. These students take one of these
tasks with interest, maybe 2-5 to master them and "cash" the time they
invested learning how to complete the first one. Then they move onto other
tasks, cloned or not.