[QA] [teampractices] "Testing 101" docs from Etsy

Gergo Tisza gtisza at wikimedia.org
Wed Oct 29 19:33:54 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 4:33 PM, Chris McMahon <cmcmahon at wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> "...increase unit testing coverage" in our case almost certainly means
> "rewrite big chunks of Mediawiki Core from scratch".

Browser tests, on the other hand, are not that hard to write, and don't
require any changes in the code under test, or even any understanding of
the architecture. Improving our end-to-end test coverage could be a nice
Google Code-in task IMO - not as clonable as writing unit tests (too many
browser tests is a bad thing as they are slower and require more
maintenance) but should still be enough for quite a few students.

Whether writing tests is a good task for attracting smart students is
another question. I'd say not, although it might be no worse than the rest
of the tasks - "cloneable" means "boring" by definition.