[QA] better page object explanation, colon confusion

S Page spage at wikimedia.org
Mon Oct 27 18:35:21 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 8:48 AM, Ċ½eljko Filipin <zfilipin at wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> `:id => 'an_id'` and `id: "firstHeading"` are Ruby hashes. The former is
> the Ruby 1.8 syntax (hash rocket), the latter is Ruby 1.9+ syntax.

Thanks, I mentioned in
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Quality_Assurance/Browser_testing/Writing_tests#Page_Objects

More information:

> https://github.com/bbatsov/ruby-style-guide#no-mixed-hash-syntaces

Interesting, Ruby seems like Perl with more than one way to do it but is
better with evolving recommended practices.

RuboCop is instructed to allow both, at the moment.

Please can we not do that, do any of our browser tests even support Ruby
1.8? I don't want to keep stylistic alternatives in my brain when a machine
can enforce a well-documented style guide.

Thanks,
--
=S Page  Features engineer