[QA] Pair programming Friday for fun and profit[Session details]

jagori samajdar jagori79 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 04:18:50 UTC 2014

Hi !

I would like to share with you all about my last week’s pairing session
with  Željko. It was a great learning experience for me.

Got a feel of how useful and fun, remote pair programming could be. We used
Google+ to coordinate which has the ability of sharing your desktop screens
so this makes the entire process and especially learning, a lot easier.

 Željko referred me 2 books which I have bought:

   - Cucumber and Cheese by Jeff Morgan(
   https://leanpub.com/cucumber_and_cheese)
   - Web Application Testing In Ruby-written by  Željko himself(
   https://leanpub.com/watirbook)

Since I really wanted to get started and keep learning simultaneously, so
he assigned me an issue to start with in Bugzilla which although was quite
a simple one(copy paste type :)) but at least it helped me install the
tools in place before I actually start.

I am yet to upload and commit that so won’t go to that much details here.

Setting up details for automated browser tests using Cucumber and Ruby
which Željko helped me with:

   - Register on Bugzilla
   - Get a developer access ,
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Developer_access<http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Developer_accesshttp:/www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Developer_access>.
   You can use the same to access http://gerrit.wikimedia.org
   - Install Ruby 1.9.3
   - Install Ruby Mine, IDE for writing in code/tests.
   http://www.jetbrains.com/ruby/ [get the trial version]
   - Sign up for a GIT Hub account.[It has a mirror code, actual code is on
   Gerrit]
   - Setting up Gerrit /Git review ,to make this work with Git[you need to
   have python installed]https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Gerrit/git-review
   -  Finally you can get a copy of the code from Gerrit[paths should be
   there in Bugzilla] on your local system and follow some setting up steps
    as given in https://github.com/wikimedia/mediawiki-selenium
   - Run bundle install –It will download the dependencies and the ruby
   gems the application code needs to run.
   - Make the required changes and finally commit which is still pending on
   my side.

 You could also refer
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Quality_Assurance/Browser_testing/Setup_instructions
  for more details on how to set up.

 Since I have a Windows system, so was facing some difficulties setting up
everything, and am not sure if it’s actually working still unless I commit
something which I am hoping to do soon.
Hope to have covered everything.
Thanks  Željko for the session.

Regards,