[QA] Reg: screenshots hack? [http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/qa/2014-February/001164.html]

Jagori Ganguli jagori.ganguli at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 03:28:03 UTC 2014

Hi,

This is in response to Amir's post on creating /updating screenshots via
test scenarios.

Just wished to add a feedback.

We could probably follow the below approach as already suggested by Amir
too:

   1. Identifying scenarios of the software on which to generate
   screenshots.
   2. Writing and running the test scenarios on the localized software.We
   could probably set up a data driven test in which we could pass an object
   array having the list of languages ,so that our tests would be run on each
   language.
   3. Capturing screenshots using selenium webdriver's capability ,no need
   of sauce labs.This would capture partial screenshot/full page screenshot as
   per the need.
   4. Saving the screenshots generated per language in a folder.
   5. Finally uploading all the folders to  a destination server/location.

Now,there are some aspects which I believe is worth looking at:

   - Would all the screenshots generated be it partial/full page be of
   uniform size? This would depend on whatever size is required in the
   documentation manual.

   - Probably to save processing time,we could run the tests on a headless
   browser and split our tests to run on various nodes ,i.e. try and set up a
   selenium Grid to reduce the processing time.

Thanks,
Jagori