[QA] Where to run browser tests for multiple languages for Screenshots?

Antoine Musso hashar+wmf at free.fr
Mon Jun 23 09:42:35 UTC 2014

Le 18/06/2014 14:11, Amir E. Aharoni a écrit :
<snip>
>> We only have a few wikis on the beta cluster because it is not strong
>> enough to support the roughly 900 wikis WMF has in production.
>
> We definitely don't need all 900.It's by language, not by project.
>
> In practice, for this particular project and at this point in time, we
> don't even need all languages, but only the languages into which the
> feature in question is fully translated. The feature in question in at
> this point VisualEditor, and there are 26 languages into which it has at
> least 95% translation. See
> https://translatewiki.net/w/i.php?title=Special%3AMessageGroupStats&x=D&group=ext-visualeditor-0-all&suppressempty=1#sortable:3=desc
>
> So what would seem good to me is to have a wiki for each of these 26
> languages, and to add wikis as needed. Of course, it would be much more
> robust for everybody if it would be an easy process to create such a
> wiki in an automated scripted way - with the needed extensions, and with
> a bit of imported content in the relevant language as well.

Hello,

26 is more manageable than all single languages we have translations
for.  Each wiki adds some overhead in the maintenance of the beta wiki,
we run update.php on each database on an hourly basis for example.

>> Have you thought of using the enwiki on beta and setting a different
>> language ?  Appending &uselang=<some language code> might achieve the
>> desired result.
>
> This might be problematic. For example, for RTL languages, the content
> will still appear as LTR, and for all languages, it will be good to have
> content in the relevant language.

And I forgot about the content direction. Amir Ladsgroup pushed to have
an english wiki set with RTL direction (en_rtl).  Maybe it could fit the
screenshots needs: http://en-rtl.wikipedia.beta.wmflabs.org/

>From there you could get content uploaded on enwiki and en_rtl wikis in
different languages then use &setlang / &uselang to change the interface
language.

That seems easier to maintain as far as beta cluster is concerned.

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso