[QA] Help applying Automation tests

Željko Filipin zfilipin at wikimedia.org
Tue Jul 22 10:56:25 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 11:21 AM, Muzammil Rajwadkar <muzzymon at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> I do understand what needs to be done, but I dont know how to accomplish
> this if that makes sense?

It does. We all feel overwhelmed when learning a lot of new stuff at once.

> Do you make these tests in cucumber?

Yes. But Cucumber is just one of the tools that you will have to use to
resolve the bug.

#1 Install Git (if not already installed).
#2 Clone mediawiki core repository (if not already cloned).
#3 Add a new scenario to the end of
tests/browser/features/preferences.feature file.
#4 Commit.
#5 Push the change to Gerrit.
#6 Add at least one person to reviewers (feel free to add me).

This is just warming up, the hard part starts when you get the first
review. But doing the above will make sure you have everything set up
correctly, and then you can focus on writing code.

I think this would be an excellent topic for a pairing session. If nothing
goes wrong, we can make all the above steps in the usual hour. Would you
like to pair on that?

> I have gone through the cucumber books prior to asking this issue but its
> still not making sense :(

That is strange. Did you do all exercises from the book? It is hard to
learn stuff like this by just reading about it. Practicing (by writing
code) is essential. You can not learn how to run a marathon by just reading
books. There is a lot of running involved. The same is with coding. Just
reading does not do the trick. You have to wear out a keyboard (or six).

Željko