[QA] Failing MobileFrontend browser tests

Željko Filipin zfilipin at wikimedia.org
Mon Jul 14 13:34:19 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 9:39 PM, Rob Lanphier <robla at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> as a permanent fix, can we change the wait to 60 seconds and call it good?

That would be a workaround, not really a fix, especially not a permanent
one. It is doable[1-2] and it might help, but it also means that every time
a test really fails because an element is not present, it will not fail
after waiting for 5, but 60 seconds. That might make the test runs longer.

I will create a few test jobs and see if it helps.

A permanent fix would be to run both the Jenkins job, the browser and the
mediawiki instance on the same machine (or as close as possible), instead
of reaching over the internet to Sauce Labs, WMF labs or production.

>  How was 5 seconds arrived at as the time for an automated test to fail?

We have an option of using three (yes, 3) APIs to drive the browser, but I
think all three of them default to waiting for an element for 5 seconds and
then giving up.

Željko
--
1: https://code.google.com/p/selenium/wiki/RubyBindings#Implicit_waits