[QA] Proposal for Zurich Hackathon: Production-like Vagrant

Yuvi Panda yuvipanda at wikimedia.org
Thu Jan 23 12:14:07 UTC 2014

This sounds like a great idea! I built Labsvagrant a few months ago (
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Labs-vagrant) - lets you run your
vagrant setup on Labs directly. I also have a fair amount of commits in
both Vagrant and our Ops repo, so I'll be doubly interested in working on
this.

There are, however, difficulties.

1. The Vagrant puppet environment shares almost zero code with our
operations repo.
2. This means that we would have to either migrate the ops puppet code to
use the Vagrant puppet modules, or vice versa
3. (2) requires a lot of buy in, from Ops *and* Ori.

I think these will need to be addressed before we start on it. I am not so
sure that'll be simple.

The other way is to figure out what exactly are the differences between
Vagrant and Prod that cause issues when developing, and fix Vagrant to
match those in production more closely. This seems more achievable for the
hackathon.