[QA] Tests for MediaWiki vs beta

Chris Steipp csteipp at wikimedia.org
Fri Jan 17 02:02:56 UTC 2014

Hi, I'm pretty new at Selenium and ruby, but I'm working on getting some
tests to work against our MediaWiki release branches, so we can have
automated regression testing for our releases.

I've noticed that a lot of the tests in the browsertest repo are written
for certain configurations, typically what's on beta labs. As a result,
these tests don't work on a fresh install of MediaWiki. For example,
several tests that look for an "Edit" link look for "Edit source", i.e. VE
is installed.

At the moment, I've cloned into another repo and I'm just fixing the tests
to work for a tarball install, but is there a proper way to extend those
tests so that we don't need an entire new repo for VE vs. non-VE tests? I
see several places that load a different page object for ie6/phantomjs, is
that a good design pattern that I should copy?

Thanks for the help!