[QA] bugzilla and needs-test

Chris McMahon cmcmahon at wikimedia.org
Thu Jan 16 15:26:21 UTC 2014

A couple of thoughts on this:

* This might be a topic better suited for the "teampractices" mail list
* Julisz Gonera is giving a presentation on Test Driven Development later
today that will touch on some of this.
* We have here conflated whole worlds of dev processes into a couple of
Bugzilla tags without any context.

We can write a UI/browser regression test at any point before or after the
feature being tested is available.

But that "need-unittest" for example is kind of odd.  Unit tests should
ideally be written by the developers working on the code at the time that
the code is being written.  Writing unit tests after the fact is not a very
good practice.   People who actually attempt to write unit tests after the
fact will usually end up having to spend extensive time understanding large
chunks of code in order to refactor/rewrite them from scratch in order to
make the code testable.   Given that the cultures of neither PHP nor
Javascript have historically had much support for testable code, this can
be an enormous challenge.  A tag "need-unittest" should be renamed "code
needs refactoring/rewrite"-- it's the same thing.  One does not simply walk
into unit testing.

I think this is a "teampractices" discussion because we should have some
sort of common understanding of what constitutes a "unit test" and an
"integration test", and how they are implemented-- not to mention
performance test, accessibility test, A/B test, etc. etc. that in my
experience are often all conflated into one fuzzy concept of "oh, it's
testing, it's all about the same thing, right?"

-Chris