[QA] Acceptance tests that require account creation

Niklas Laxström niklas.laxstrom at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 15:34:23 UTC 2014

2014/1/13 Jeff Hall <jhall at wikimedia.org>:
> So if this solution seems workable to all concerned, it will accomplish the
> goal of allowing each browser test to create whatever wiki articles it needs
> to satisfy test assertions, and we can easily expand the scope later to also
> allow each browser test to create user logins as needed.

This might not be the same problem exactly, but in the language team
we have implemented browser test related data creation via URL
parameter, example: [1] and [2].

Since this will mess with wiki content data, we have a configuration
variable [3] to protect access so that it doesn't accidentally happen
on a production wiki.

What I don't like is that we are having test related code inside the
special page itself. Dedicated API module could be cleaner.

[1] https://github.com/wikimedia/mediawiki-extensions-Translate/blob/master/specials/SpecialManageTranslatorSandbox.php#L44
[2] https://github.com/wikimedia/mediawiki-extensions-Translate/blob/master/tests/browser/features/step_definitions/manage_translator_sandbox_steps.rb#L5
[3] https://github.com/wikimedia/mediawiki-extensions-Translate/blob/master/Translate.php#L646

  -Niklas