[QA] suggestions for browser test debugging

S Page spage at wikimedia.org
Thu Feb 20 08:36:14 UTC 2014

tl;dr : I started
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Quality_Assurance/Browser_testing/Debuggingbut
still have problems.

Way back in Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 1:28 PM, Chris McMahon <
cmcmahon at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> ...  Watir in particular (even before Selenium existed) was always
> intended to be used interactively as well as batch-wise.  The key is to use
> irb, interactive Ruby
>
> $ irb
> 2.0.0p247 :001 > require 'watir-webdriver'
>  => true
> 2.0.0p247 :002 > browser = Watir::Browser.new :firefox
>  => #<Watir::Browser:0x..fac3245de232edb40 url="about:blank" title="">
> 2.0.0p247 :003 > browser.goto('
> http://en.wikipedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/Talk:Flow_QA')
>  => "http://en.wikipedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/Talk:Flow_QA"

I always get "Server not found" the first time, but if I repeat it works.

> at this point your browser has the Flow page open and you can zoom around
> in it in some really spectacular ways.   A place to start looking is
> https://github.com/watir/watir/wiki/Using-IRB, but there is a lot more
> available.

I don't want to "zoom around in spectacular ways" with Watir commands :) ,
I want to debug existing cucumber code failures.

* I couldn't figure out how to get irb to load my PageObject.
* I couldn't figure out how to get irb to run the cucumber command line.
*
http://www.agileforall.com/2011/12/cucumber-tip-irb-from-inside-a-step-definition/failed
with
    ERROR:  Error installing ruby-debug:
    /home/spage/.rvm/rubies/ruby-2.1.0/bin/ruby extconf.rb
   Can't handle 1.9.x yet

But (good news), the suggestion to use pry-nav in
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/watir-general/fFeBBU6n2jw (where
Zejlko contributed!) worked:

1. add
  gem "pry-nav"
to Gemfile
2. bundle install
3. insert
      require 'pry-nav'
      binding.pry
in the step_definition where I want it to stop.

That helped identify the problem.  But I'm still confused how to
interactively tweak a page element.  I have a definition of a PageObject
element:
    button(:comment_reply_save, class: "flow-reply-submit")
that doesn't work, how can I interactively change it, or try a new one?
The cycle time to modify flow_page only to find that text_input doesn't
support the css class is painful.

Cheers,
--
=S Page  Features engineer