[QA] Updating QA community training and outreach

Chris McMahon cmcmahon at wikimedia.org
Fri Aug 1 23:17:43 UTC 2014

Ċ½eljko and the rest of the QA/Release Engineering team were talking this
over this week, and we are considering stopping the "Pair Programming for
Fun and Profit" sessions.

Instead we are considering renewing our practice of creating publicly
available presentations and workshops that will have a greater audience,
and that will be permanently available into the future. We did a number of
these in conjunction with the WMF Engineering Community team in the past
and they were successful both for teaching participants in real time and
also for later reference.

Of course we will still do pair programming as part of our regular work, it
is part of our culture. However, basic information about the systems we
use: the page-object gem; Cucumber; RSpec;Selenium and watir-webdriver, are
widely available, and we encourage people to find them, read them and use
them.

This will be a topic of discussion among us at Wikimania, and of course
discussion is always welcome on this mail list.

-Chris