[QA] first browser test to use the API to create a wiki page

Chris McMahon cmcmahon at wikimedia.org
Thu Apr 3 21:48:22 UTC 2014

Hello QAers,

I've been wanting to make this happen for a while, and now a flaky test in
the MobileFrontend repo has supplied the opportunity:
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/123679/

We have (at least) two Scenarios in (at least) two different builds that
all try to move the Barack_Obama page on and off the watchlist for
Selenium_user.  This sometimes causes false failures and flaky results when
the tests interfere with each other.  The gerrit patch above creates a new
page at run time for each Scenario that manipulates the watchlist, so the
test won't be flaky any more.

Some time ago Juliusz and Ċ½eljko created a nice[1] front[2] do this with
the API but until now I had not had a good reason to call the API from
within a Cucumber step.

If we get this merged successfully, the next step would be to move the
steps implementation to the mediawiki_selenium Ruby gem so that all the
repos could use it in the same way, not just MobileFrontend.

[1] http://rubygems.org/gems/mediawiki_api
[2] https://github.com/wikimedia/mediawiki-ruby-api