[QA] QA tasks for Google Code-in

Quim Gil qgil at wikimedia.org
Wed Oct 16 21:12:12 UTC 2013

Hi, yesterday we agreed to go for Google Code-in. Andre Klapper and me
are coordinating the effort to apply by Oct 28. We are documenting
everything relevant at

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Google_Code-In

What we need from the people in this list is at least 5 tasks under the
Quality Assurance category. These tasks should take *you* 2-3 hours each
(with all your experience and your Wikimedia background), and about 1-3
days to a newcomer student.

You can use the wiki page to start listing tasks. It's ok if they are
simple notes at this point. We can polish them after Oct 28 if we get
accepted.

As opposed to Google Summer of Code, tasks like writing browser
automation tests are accepted in Code-in. You are also welcome to
propose tasks related with bug triaging, continuous integration...

They still must be tasks with a measurable outcome, so it is possible to
assess wether the task has been completed or not. For instance, a task
like "Test BotXYZ" is risky because a potential answer is "Tested during
two days, found nothing". The only way to evaluate this task is... to
test BotXYZ yourself, which defeats the purpose of this activity.

If you have any questions, just ask.

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation