[QA] A short story

Željko Filipin zfilipin at wikimedia.org
Fri May 31 17:20:10 UTC 2013

Chris and talked today and decided it would be good to let this list know
what we were doing in the last week. Or to share an interesting story from
the last week. If you think that is not a good idea, let me know.

Until somebody complains, let me tell you a story... :)

Chris and I pair for at least one hour every week, usually on Friday. As
usual, we paired today on fixing IE6-8 upload wizard failing test[1][2][3].
It fails all the time at Sauce Labs, but it was working fine for us on
virtual machines with IE6 and IE8.

Long story short, we ran out of time.

The only difference we have noticed is that we are running the tests on
Ruby 2.0 at Sauce Labs and virtual machines had Ruby 1.9.3. That could
cause the problem, but not likely. InternetExplorerDriver was also out of
date. That was more likely to cause the problem. I will update Ruby and
InternetExplorerDriver in the virtual machines. If the test still works
fine there, but fails at Sauce Labs next steps are:

- disable the test for IE6-8
- write a Bugzilla[4] bug saying the test should be enabled and the failure
fixed (so it is not forgotten)

We have decided that we want the tests back to green, even if that means we
have to disable the test that is known to fail.

Comments? Have a story to share from last week that you think this list
would be interested in?

Željko
--
1: