[QA] Volunteering (hi Lolita)

Chris McMahon cmcmahon at wikimedia.org
Wed Jul 31 00:02:55 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 4:34 PM, Lolita Dsilva <ldsilva2001 at yahoo.co.in>wrote:

> Hi Chris and All,
> I am interested in doing any software testing. I read thro' all the
> instructions, but I am still not sure on how to start testing and who would
> have the test plan.

You would have the test plan.  What would you like to test?

Although I dislike the Wikipedia page on the subject, Exploratory Testing
is our preferred approach http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploratory_testing .
 I can recommend this book strongly:
http://pragprog.com/book/ehxta/explore-it

> My interest is to get some experience in QA testing.

We have a number of ongoing software development efforts.  You can see what
we've been deploying recently here
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Software_deployments and there is a lot
of general information at http://www.mediawiki.org.  We have a wide range
of possibilities for regression testing.  We have two main shared test
environments, and we do a significant amount of testing in production.  We
have automated browser tests you can see at
https://github.com/wikimedia/qa-browsertests/tree/master/features.  Our bug
tracking system is at https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org

In order to contribute to testing, it would be helpful for you to do enough
research on your own to be able to ask some specific questions.

Thanks,
-Chris