[QA] Workshop today: pre-briefing

Quim Gil qgil at wikimedia.org
Fri Jul 19 10:19:02 UTC 2013

On 07/18/2013 05:57 PM, Ori Livneh wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 7:00 AM, Quim Gil <qgil at wikimedia.org
> <mailto:qgil at wikimedia.org>> wrote:
>
>     [*] I just completed the Vagrant route alone on my laptop, running
>     Ubuntu. It was the first time I did anything with VirtualBox and
>     Vagrant. It involved large downloads and some patience addressing
>     error messages.
>

> Please file bugs for any incorrect or confusing behavior you encounter! :)

The errors came while dealing with plain VirtualBox and Vagrant
installations, and when they had to talk to each other. Nothing tough,
you just have to read the error messages and do what they tell you. But
you could see me rolling my eyes when an error message says "Linux
kernel headers are missing, install..." and methinks "Kernel headers! I
just want a MediaWiki environment!"  :)

Seeing that we are getting MediaWiki Vagrant running in Linux, Mac and
Windows, I think we should consider this the one and only environment
for volunteers. The documentation at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki-Vagrant/Installation_details is
already good and more users with more question would improve it. Once
you are done with the plain installation, adding the Browser Testing
role is trivial.

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation