[QA] Workshop today: pre-briefing

Carol Sanders carol at carolsanders.org
Thu Jul 18 15:55:18 UTC 2013

On 07/18/2013 07:32 AM, Željko Filipin wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 4:00 PM, Quim Gil <qgil at wikimedia.org
> <mailto:qgil at wikimedia.org>> wrote:
>
>     I just completed the Vagrant route alone on my laptop, running Ubuntu.
>

> Great. Can you let me know your Ubuntu version (Ubuntu 13.04 32-bit?)
> so I can add it to "tested on"[1]?
>
> Željko
> --
> 1:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Meetings/2013-07-18#Setup_virtual_machine

The install instructions to setup your environment do not work with
Ubuntu 13.04.
Below are the error messages I received when attempting to setup my
environment on two different Ubuntu 13.04 installations.
Is it necessary for me to make my Ruby installation unstable according
to Debian in order to have the required test environment?

:~/browsertests$ gem update --system
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
     gem update --system is disabled on Debian, because it will
overwrite the content of the rubygems Debian package, and might break
your Debian system in subtle ways. The Debian-supported way to update
rubygems is through apt-get, using Debian official repositories.
If you really know what you are doing, you can still update rubygems by
setting the REALLY_GEM_UPDATE_SYSTEM environment variable, but please
remember that this is completely unsupported by Debian.
carolsand at casubuntu-lt:~/browsertests$ gem install bundler
Fetching: bundler-1.3.5.gem (100%)
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Errno::EACCES)
     Permission denied - /var/lib/gems

carolsand at casubuntu-lt:~/browsertests$ sudo gem install bundler
Fetching: bundler-1.3.5.gem (100%)
Successfully installed bundler-1.3.5
1 gem installed
Installing ri documentation for bundler-1.3.5...
Installing RDoc documentation for bundler-1.3.5...
carolsand at casubuntu-lt:~/browsertests$ bundle install
Fetching gem metadata from https://rubygems.org/..........
Fetching gem metadata from https://rubygems.org/..
Installing rake (10.1.0)
Installing builder (3.2.2)
Installing ffi (1.9.0)
Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError: ERROR: Failed to build gem native
extension.

         /usr/bin/ruby1.9.1 extconf.rb
/usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require': cannot
load such file -- mkmf (LoadError)
     from /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require'
     from extconf.rb:4:in `<main>'

Gem files will remain installed in
/home/carolsand/.bundler/tmp/31864/gems/ffi-1.9.0 for inspection.
Results logged to
/home/carolsand/.bundler/tmp/31864/gems/ffi-1.9.0/ext/ffi_c/gem_make.out

An error occurred while installing ffi (1.9.0), and Bundler cannot continue.
Make sure that `gem install ffi -v '1.9.0'` succeeds before bundling.
carolsand at casubuntu-lt:~/browsertests$

Thank you,

Carol