[QA] resizing big images will get faster next week

Antoine Musso hashar+wmf at free.fr
Tue Jul 16 18:54:32 UTC 2013

Le 16/07/13 20:03, Greg Grossmeier a écrit :

> If it is, then we should have a bunch of known good images of various
> sizes/types (png, jpg, gif, etc) that we throw at it to make sure we
> don't break anything as we move forward with more Vips changes.

Hello,

Maybe reach out to volunteers to find out images candidates and the
tests we want to run on them (such as: imagemagick, vips, vips+bilinear).

Imagemagick comes with a comparaison tool that let you generate a diff
image: http://www.imagemagick.org/script/compare.php

>From there, with some magic shell script wrapper, we could have a
Jenkins jobs that will run:
 - fetch the pictures from commons
 - run all the scaling tests for us
 - copy the generated thumbnail + the compare output to some public
place ( such as integration.wikimedia.org )
 - generate a HTML page including all the thumbnails

The job can be triggered whenever a patch is sent against the VipsScaler
extension and we can make Zuul to report back in Gerrit the link to the
HTML page :)

I will definitely not have the time to handle that myself by the end of
July but if someone manage to figure out the tests and write a basic
shell wrapper  it is pretty trivial to create the Jenkins job :)

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso