[QA] @test2 questions

Željko Filipin zfilipin at wikimedia.org
Tue Jul 2 10:57:29 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 2:02 AM, Rachel Thomas <rachelqa99 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have put in the correct tag that you suggested in the .feature file,  @
> test2.wikipedia.org. on the first line, but it still doesn't try to run
> on test2, when I run the bundle exec cucumber
> features/visualeditor_references.feature from command line.  What happens
> is that it runs on the default en.wikipedia rather than test2.

I think I know what the problem is - I have never explained to you how
Cucumber tags work, and how our test framework uses them. :)

jobs.md[1] file documents how to run just the files tagged @
test2.wikipedia.org. Something like this:

bundle exec cucumber --tags @test2.wikipedia.org

That means that cucumber will run only the features/scenarios tagged @
test2.wikipedia.org. It does not mean that it will run them at
test2.wikipedia.org!

To run a feature/scenario on a specific site, you have to set MEDIAWIKI_URL
environment variable:

linux/mac:

export MEDIAWIKI_URL=http://test2.wikipedia.org/wiki/

windows:

set MEDIAWIKI_URL=http://test2.wikipedia.org/wiki/

There are some problems with http and test2 at the moment. If the tests
fail, use https instead of http.

In short:

- Cucumber tags allow us to run a subset of tests,
- MEDIAWIKI_URL determines where the tests run.

If you want to read more about tags, there is some documentation[2] at
Cucumber wiki.

I know this is confusing. There are a lot of moving parts. If you have any
questions, let me know.

Željko
--
1: https://github.com/wikimedia/qa-browsertests/blob/master/docs/jobs.md