[Pywikipedia-l] SVN help

Marcin Cieslak saper at saper.info
Fri Mar 4 22:17:22 UTC 2011

>> Bináris <wikiposta at gmail.com> wrote:
> --===============1254137196686846447==
>
> --000e0cd5983ca588a1049da3585b
>
> Hi,
>
> I have just installed TortoiseSVN on my machine, and I am trying to
> understand it from documentation.
> I need it for
> -- restoring the older versions of my misdeveloped programs (after some sad
> experiences)
> -- making diffs/patches to upload onto SF
> -- update Pywikipedia (by this time I used nightlies for this purpose)
>
> As far as I understand, I need an own repository here for the first goal. I
> thought I would synchronize my working copy (which should be the active
> pywikibot) with my local repository first and then update it from Pywiki
> repository.
>
> Is this a good concept?
> What will happen to the rev numbers this way? Will they confuse?
> Or how do you solve this (those who develop and not only use the bot)?

There is a "svnsync" utility which allows you to keep a full local copy
of the repository. There is also "svk" utility to have a kind of
peer-to-peer model in SVN (but I never used it).

I am using svnsync to have a local copy of the FreeBSD source tree repository.

I don't have a commit right there, so it's not a problem. But actually
I never commit to my local repository either, I use it only to
have my svn diffs, svn logs etc. fast and when I'm off-line.

//Marcin