[Pywikipedia-l] Humans vs bots: 0:1

Marcin Cieslak saper at saper.info
Thu Feb 3 10:54:36 UTC 2011

Zawartość nagłówka ["Followup-To:" gmane.comp.python.pywikipediabot.general.]
>> Andre Engels <andreengels at gmail.com> wrote:

(reordered)

> This particular issue I have now resolved by finding that there is a
> Dutch page on the same subject as the Polish one, and adding an
> interwiki to that one. This way, even if someone mistakenly adds the
> incorrect link again, for the bots this will lead to an interwiki
> conflict, so they will not automatically propagate the wrong link any
> more.

Thank you. I was looking for it but I think I didn't look at nlwiki.

I have cut out the part on the political activism to another article
that can now be linked to the rest.

> Working with {{nobots}} as you have done is not a good solution, I
> think. Adding it on the Polish page could be justified, but on the
> English one it also stops a good amount of correct edits.

I fully agree, this was just a temporary relief to keep enwiki page
clean as a source.

> The first issue is indeed that the wrong interwiki has to be removed
> on _all_ languages to stop it from returning, but even with that one
> could still get into problems because there might be bots that visited
> some languages _before_ your removal, and others _after_ it. They
> would then consider the wrong interwiki to be a missing one on the
> languages visited afterward, and re-add them there.

This is what happened.

And I find this disturbing. I just couldn't stop the army of robots
doing what they wanted. Maybe we should think of template like
{{thinkagain}} to make interwiki.py bots flush their caches? Not sure
on this as well.

//Saper