[Pywikipedia-l] upload.py: codec can't decode byte

Andrew Fraser andy at fraserphysics.com
Sat Dec 31 16:24:27 UTC 2011

I am having trouble with upload.py.  Here is output pasted from my
terminal/command line:

->python upload.py -keep -noverify pic.jpg 'test description'
Reading file pic.jpg
The suggested description is:
test description
Uploading file to family:en via API....
'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xff in position 633: ordinal not in range(128)
WARNING: Could not open 'http://familywiki.fraserphysics.com/api.php'. Maybe the server or
 your connection is down. Retrying in 1 minutes...
'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xff in position 633: ordinal not in range(128)
WARNING: Could not open 'http://familywiki.fraserphysics.com/api.php'. Maybe the server or
 your connection is down. Retrying in 2 minutes...

Other information:

    OS: debian testing

    pywikipedia version: 9820 (updated 2011-12-30 in hopes of resolving
    problem)

    wiki: http://familywiki.fraserphysics.com

    other use of pywikipedia: 'python pagefromfile.py -putthrottle:01
    -file:export.xml' (seems to do what I want)

    uploading images via web interface works

    image looks fine on local machine using imagemagick display

Thanks in advance,

Andy