[Pywikipedia-l] Internationalization

Maarten Dammers maarten at mdammers.nl
Sat Oct 23 19:32:06 UTC 2010

Hi everyone,

Currently translation of messages outputted to the wiki's is done in
source. This is quite tedious to maintain. A good step would be to move
translations to http://www.translatewiki.org so it is much easier to get
things translated. But how? We have several options.

1. Gettext: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_gettext Supported by
translatewiki, build in support in python
(http://docs.python.org/library/gettext.html), but it doesn't seem to be
really targeted on working on multiple languages the same time like we
do in for example interwiki.py.

2. Big python dictionary: Easy to implement in pywikipedia but isn't
really a standard so translatewiki needs to be modified. You can see a
test in r8684

3. Properties files: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.properties These
files are used in Java programs to store translations. Supported at
translatewiki. We could probably parse these with something like
http://docs.python.org/library/configparser.html . Downside is that
these files are not utf-8 encoded.

4. YAML : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YAML . Supported by
translatewiki, need a lib to use it in pywikipedia.

So what do you guys think? What should we do? Anyone willing to help
implement this?

We've talked about this several times. I hope we manage to implement
something this time :-)

Maarten