[Pywikipedia-l] Request for feedback on rewrite branch

Maarten Dammers maarten at mdammers.nl
Thu Apr 1 14:08:12 UTC 2010

Hi Russell,

Russell Blau schreef:
> I am at a point where it would be helpful to have some feedback from other
> Pywikipedia users about the future of the rewrite branch.  As those who
> watch the SVN commits know, I have not had as much time to work on this
> lately, and have to prioritize what time I do spend on it.
>
> For those who have used the rewrite branch, what (if anything) needs to be
> done to it to get you to use it exclusively and retire the old wikipedia.py
> system?  What is missing?  What is broken?  What is present but could be
> improved?

The main reason I use the current branch and not the rewrite branch is
that the current branch just works.
I run bots to get stuff done and last time I tried the rewrite branch
didn't work.
> For those who have chosen not to use the rewrite branch, why not?  What
> might lead you to take another look?

If you say rewrite is stable, I'll give it another try.
> And then, I'm sure there are many whose reaction to this post has been,
> "What's the rewrite branch?"  I don't know what to ask you, so feel free to
> move on to the next message.
>
> Most critically, is there any reason to continue development of the trunk
> once the rewrite branch is at a point where most users are ready to switch
> to it?

Before we get there the user programs need to be converted and
restructured. I think most current commandline programs should be split
up in a script part and one of more lib parts.

Maarten