[Pywikipedia-l] [ pywikipediabot-Bugs-2498068 ] Page editing requires full admin privileges in Windows Vista

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Tue Jan 27 08:40:27 UTC 2009

Bugs item #2498068, was opened at 2009-01-10 18:48
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by siebrand
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=603138&aid=2498068&group_id=93107

not just the latest update.
Category: interwiki
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Pywikipedia [http] trunk/pywikipedia (r6242, Jan 09 2009, 20:23:10)
Python 2.6.1 (r261:67517, Dec  4 2008, 16:51:00) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]

Running interwiki.py without the "Run as administrator" option in Windows Vista gives a strange behaviour:
The bot asks for bot account password, tries to login, and apparently it succeeds.
It tries to edit the page and it fails and then tries again.
Then either it succeeds in editing or I get a CAPTCHA request depending on the site it is editing.
In any case, the bot's edit is anonymous, and not using the bot account.
For the next edit, I get a bot request to login again.
Over and over again.

I experimented running it under the Vista administrator privileges (my account is an "admin" but Vista normal admin privileges are more restricted than in previous versions of Windows. You have to explicitely say you want to run in fully unsafe admin mode.

My perception is that this shouldn't affect page editing by the bot in any way, so I'm filing it as a bug, although I'm not sure it's not a Python framework problem.
Thanks.

Date: 2009-01-27 09:40

Message:
Would you be able to narrow this issue down a bit using Process Monitor[1]
and see which files or folders are the issue? That would be a great help.

[1] http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx