[Pywikipedia-l] [ pywikipediabot-Feature Requests-2326967 ] interwiki.py -wiktionary

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Fri Jan 23 16:31:53 UTC 2009

Feature Requests item #2326967, was opened at 2008-11-22 13:48
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by purodha
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=603141&aid=2326967&group_id=93107

not just the latest update.
Category: interwiki
Group: None

Initial Comment:
interwiki.py -wiktionary take too much time to process.

Currently, interwiki bot retreives 60 en article, next 60 fr article. (language code is just an example)

I suggest for bot to retreive all wiki entries with same name at the same time to reduce time to retreive.

Thank you.

Date: 2009-01-23 16:31

Message:
I am pretty confident that, the current way of retrieval is usually much
faster, because it is using the [[Special:Export]] special page so as to
retrieve those up to 60 (unless -array is used) pages at once, in a single
http request.

Pages of different language wikis are retrieved from URLs having different
domains, thus there is no way known to me to have them bundeld into a
single http request. Thus they would approximately take (up to) 60 times as
long. A http request consumes almost the same clock time, while increasing
its length only marginally adds to its duration.

Thus I suggest closing this suggestion as "wontfix". I leave it open
though so as to give others an opportunity to possibly disagree with me :-)