[Pywikipedia-l] really basic shell script questions (or is it Bourne script? Bash?)

Chris Watkins chriswaterguy at appropedia.org
Mon Feb 16 20:20:24 UTC 2009

I've never written a script before, and know very little about them. (I've
googled, and just got confused.)

If I want to run a heap of movepages.py commands, it seems like I should use
something like:

#!/bin/sh
python movepages.py -from:"abc (from Wikipedia)" -to:"abc" -log:movelog
python movepages.py -from:"xyz (from Wikipedia)" -to:"xyz" -log:movelog

etc

My questions:

   - If I place the script in my pywikipedia directory, do I still need to
   add a   *cd pywikipedia/*   or equivalent after the first line?
   - I've seen   *rundate=`date +"%FT%T%z"`  *used after the cd command, but
   I can't figure out what this does. Is it needed?

--
Chris Watkins (a.k.a. Chriswaterguy)

Appropedia.org - Sharing knowledge to build rich, sustainable lives.

identi.ca/appropedia / twitter.com/appropedia
blogs.appropedia.org

I like this: five.sentenc.es