[Pywikipedia-l] [ pywikipediabot-Bugs-2685388 ] interwiki bot shouldn't replace redirects

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Wed Apr 1 09:59:03 UTC 2009

Bugs item #2685388, was opened at 2009-03-12 16:35
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by nobody
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=603138&aid=2685388&group_id=93107

not just the latest update.
Category: interwiki
Group: None

Initial Comment:
According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:R#NOTBROKEN, links to non-broken redirects should not be fixed, thus e.g. this bot edit http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Extended_SMTP&curid=1064104&diff=276724386&oldid=276384777 (changing de link from redirect page to subsection) is not correct, and this behaviour should be fixed.

Pywikipedia [http] trunk/pywikipedia (r6506, Mar 11 2009, 17:54:39)
Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Apr 18 2007, 08:51:08) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)]

Comment By: Nobody/Anonymous (nobody)
Date: 2009-04-01 09:59

Message:
I think you cannot use -noredirect, because of this bug:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2555767&group_id=93107&atid=603138

hope it'd be easy to fix, and the "-noredirect" option will be back.

Comment By: LouPeter (loupeter)
Date: 2009-03-18 07:31

Message:
At http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Interlanguage_links on the subsection
"Bots and links to and from a section" is said:

... The activity of the bots also requires that interlanguage links are
only put from an article to an article covering the same subject, not more
and not less. It is technically possible to make an interlanguage link from
an article to a section of an article, just like any link to a section. The
bots can handle this. They will not try to link back from a section to the
articles that links to it. Maintaining this links by hand, however, is
complicated, so linking to a section is still not recommended. ...

So it seems not recommended but allowed. Maybe these kind of interwikis
should remain out of the bot activities and be maintained by hand.

Comment By: Nobody/Anonymous (nobody)