[Pywikipedia-l] [ pywikipediabot-Bugs-1878986 ] getUrl() has a problem. No timeout?

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Thu Jan 24 15:59:27 UTC 2008

Bugs item #1878986, was opened at 2008-01-24 15:59
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=603138&aid=1878986&group_id=93107

not just the latest update.
Category: General
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Hello, I've seen that in my processes there are some scripts that are started something like 1-2 weeks ago that are still running.

The problem is that the function getUrl() of wikipedia.py doesn't raise any error after x time (or, I suppose that's this the reason, otherwise we have a bot that is trying to get a page for 1 week without a specific reason...).

I've not fixed the Bug only because I've no idea how to fix it (I have never handle with HTTP connections directly on python) but Bryan has said:

<Bryan> yes, but that would require you to modify the socket settings
<Bryan> sock.settimeout(1500)
<Bryan> or you do select.select on the socket
<Bryan> which is very hard in pywiki

Some ideas? :-) The 1500 by the way is only a number, we should/can set it on config.py. I've set this bug with high priority because infinite loops on toolserver are really a big problem.

Thanks, Filnik