[Pywikipedia-l] [ pywikipediabot-Feature Requests-1878791 ] let interwiki.py optionally create (used) category pages

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Thu Jan 24 10:10:41 UTC 2008

Feature Requests item #1878791, was opened at 2008-01-24 10:10
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=603141&aid=1878791&group_id=93107

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
When interwiki.py outputs a message like:
NOTE: [[en:Category:User pdc-N]] does not exist
and when the page is of a type that can have members listed, such as category pages, some of the Semantic MediaWiki Attribute/Relation/Properties pages, etc., then optionally find out wether or not the page is populated, and ask like this:
[[en:Category:User pdc-N]] has (#) members, create it? ([Y]es [N]o A[l]l [G]ive up)

When receiving a confirmative answer, add the page to the interwiki link list, and when all links have been collected, and the operator has not given up meanwhile, create the page by inserting interwiki links. Under -confirm control, come up with a question telling that a page is about to be created (not altered), so as to remind the bot operator.

Remarks:
- while telling the number of members is nice,
  and may be helpful to avoid errors when the figure
  is as small as 1, or 2, I see it as unnecessary,
  if implementation is expensive.
  (If scanning a category page is involved, we could
   as well scan only the 1st, and thus say ">200" if
   the page is fully populated)
- when dealing with category population counts at all,
  we could have a theshold or two thresholds given via
  (a) command line parameter(s), that say:
  - skip categories having less than t1 members
  - ask for categories having t1 members or more
    and less than t2 members
  - automatically create from t2 members on.
  Note that, t1=t2 might be an option, too.
- this feature should be deselected by default,
  and be switched on per command line parameter.
- I would not mind setting it via user-config-py, too.
  Then we would need to both select, and disable, it
  on the command line.