[Pywikipedia-l] [ pywikipediabot-Patches-1845405 ] Allow redirects on interwiki.py's command line

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Wed Jan 9 17:00:57 UTC 2008

Message generated for change (Settings changed) made by wikipedian
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=603140&aid=1845405&group_id=93107

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Sometimes, it is tedious to correctly enter lengthy page titles having foreign letters which your terminal program cannot handle well - although very often you have a short & simple named redirect page pointing to them. So as to not reject such redirects, but rather operate on the redirect target, I wrote a simple platch for interwiki.py which turned out to be a real time saver to me.

Adding -initialredirect to the command line turns it on: if the page on the command line is a redirect page, after the message "NOTE: A is redirect to B" has been shown, page A is done, and page B is set to be worked upon.

If the new parameter is not on the command line, everything is as it was before: processing stops after the message "NOTE: A is redirect to B", pages A and B are skipped.

The patch is attached.

It always worked fine for me in many instances. It is, however, not thoroughly tested together with the more esotheric options of interwiki.py, which I simply did not have use for. While I believe there are no side effects, I am not knowledgeable enough to be 100% sure, so I suggest review by more experienced folks before adding my patch to the code base.

Thanks.