[WikimediaMobile] Athena skin mockup "mobile-first design" brownbag presentation video online

Brion Vibber brion at wikimedia.org
Wed Nov 9 17:54:44 UTC 2011

Last Friday we had a brown-bag presentation & discussion session at the WMF
San Francisco office with Brandon Harris showing the  "Athena" skin design
mockups he's been building.

This effort is built around a "mobile-first" design direction that could
eventually combine with the main web UI to make a scalable universal
interface... in the short to medium term, we expect to use these designs
for the mobile web / mobile app UI, a great place to experiment where today
we have a blank state.

Mockup images & the ideas behind this design direction are on mediawiki.org,
please give feedback!

<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Athena>

The full-size screen & video recording of the session is now on Commons
(1280x800, about 45 minutes, ~500 mb):
<
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Athena-brownbag-brandon-harris-2011-11-04.ogv

and also a lower-resolution version which may play smoother inline
(640x400, ~115 mb):
<
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Athena-brownbag-brandon-harris-2011-11-04-small.ogv

(Thanks to Roan for importing the oversize video files to Commons for me!)

If there's interest I'd love for us to do more of these kinds of sessions
showing things that we're working on "at the office" to keep everybody in
the loop and socialize ideas more during the early stages... we could
probably rig up real-time streaming so people not at the office can watch
live and participate (questions via IRC?).

-- brion vibber (brion @ wikimedia.org)
Lead Software Architect
Wikimedia Foundation