[MediaWiki-l] Restoring a mediawiki site

Pascal GREGIS grapos at free.fr
Fri Jul 31 23:33:24 UTC 2020


Thank you Greg for the tip,

I'll try it as sonn as I'll have time again for this issue.

Regards

Pascal

eQuality Technology a écrit, le vendredi 31 juillet 2020 à 15:23:48 :
> Pascal,
> 
> I suggest using MediaWiki Vagrant [1] as the simplest method for setting up
> a local MediaWiki environment.  It may be all new to you, but it should
> "just work" and you'll save yourself lots of headaches trying to install
> and manage things separately.  Once you have MediaWiki Vagrant setup, you
> should be able to load your database backup, LocalSettings.php, and images
> so that you have a good working development environment.
> 
> [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki-Vagrant
> 
> ~ Greg
> 
> eQuality Technology
> 
> *Let's work together*
> 
> https://equality-tech.com
> follow us: https://twitter.com/eQualityTech
> *creators of https://QualityBox.us <https://QualityBox.us> *
> 
> 
> On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 2:18 PM Pascal GREGIS <grapos at free.fr> wrote:
> 
> > Hi,
> >
> > Tnaks Brian.
> > Unfortunately I don't have access to the server, only via http and ftp.
> > So I guess the best I could do in a first time would be to set up an
> > Apache + MySQL installation on my computer to restore my wiki and test the
> > restoration locally. I have been reluctant to do it until now because I'm
> > not cumfortable with setting up Apache, I have some souvenirs of it being
> > quite painful but hopefully my souvenirs have no reason to be.
> > If it comes to work and my restoration to be all right, I would be
> > reassured to know that my backups are valid and complete and give me time
> > to find a solution to the restoration part.
> > Just one thing, do you confirm that xml dumps are of no use for my backup
> > / restore issue ?
> >
> > And yes, I know there are some other elements to backup, already done for
> > the LocalSettings, and to be done for images and extensions but it's not a
> > big issue in my case, I have very few.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Pascal
> >
> > Brian Wolff a écrit, le jeudi 30 juillet 2020 à 03:52:43 :
> > > It sounds like there was some error during the import process, and your
> > db
> > > wasnt fully imported (at the very least an index was missing). Its also
> > > possible that maybe the export didnt include indicies (i dont know what
> > > phpmyadmin does by default. It might be optional)
> > >
> > > If possible i would suggest using the mysql command line client to do the
> > > import, and commandline mysqldump to make the backup.
> > >
> > >
> > > Additionally dont forget for a complete backup you also need to backup
> > > LocalSettings.php and the images subdirectory (and maybe extensions
> > > subdirectory)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Brian
> > > On Monday, July 13, 2020, Pascal GREGIS <grapos at free.fr> wrote:
> > >
> > > > Hello,
> > > >
> > > > I have tried to restore one of my wiki sites for testing, because I've
> > > > always learnt that a non-tested backup is a useless backup.
> > > >
> > > > I have exported my database named pascal_wikidb using phpmyadmin on my
> > > > host site and obtained an sql file.
> > > > Then I have tried to import this sql file on another database (on the
> > same
> > > > host site) named pascal_dbtest. I have had hard time doing it because
> > the
> > > > import function of phpmyadmin doesn't work well with lynx, but that is
> > > > another story. Using Firefox, I managed to do it still with an error
> > > > message (I don't remember this message and I cannot reproduce easily
> > this
> > > > operation); so I wasn't sure my restoration was complete.
> > > > I then imported pascal_dbtest and it sounded complete when looking at
> > the
> > > > sql file, except that there are only 5 "ALTER TABLE" in it, instaed of
> > a
> > > > few dozens in the file exported from pascal_wikidb. Anyway it's hard to
> > > > compare at a manual glance.
> > > >
> > > > So I changed the LocalSettings.php of my wiki site to have it pointing
> > on
> > > > pascal_dbtest instead of pascal_wikidb :
> > > >
> > > > $wgDBname = "pascal_dbtest";
> > > > $wgDBuser = "pascal_testwiki";
> > > > $wgDBpassword = "Undiscloed_password"
> > > >
> > > > I opened my wiki with the normal URL, I managed to log in, but I
> > couldn't
> > > > modify any page, when I try I get :
> > > > "Alert: HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error"
> > > > then  (this is a translation back to english, sorry)
> > > > «
> > > > A database request error occured. It could have been caused by
> > something
> > > > wrong in the software.
> > > > [1cd8b80a4379c26549677281] 2020-07-13 17:30:10: Fatal erreur of type
> > > > "DBQueryError"
> > > > »
> > > >
> > > > Is there any procedure to follow to restore a wiki installation from a
> > > > database backup?
> > > > Or is it likely to be caused by a corruption in my database backup?
> > > >
> > > > I precise that I almost eliminated the hypothesis of an error in the
> > > > user's permissions on this database.
> > > >
> > > > Thanks in advance for any answer
> > > >
> > > > Regards
> > > >
> > > > Pascal GRÉGIS
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > _______________________________________________
> > > > MediaWiki-l mailing list
> > > > To unsubscribe, go to:
> > > > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
> > > >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > MediaWiki-l mailing list
> > > To unsubscribe, go to:
> > > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > MediaWiki-l mailing list
> > To unsubscribe, go to:
> > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
> >
> _______________________________________________
> MediaWiki-l mailing list
> To unsubscribe, go to:
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l



More information about the MediaWiki-l mailing list