[MediaWiki-l] How to remove the CheckUser group on a wiki?

Amanda Quad amandaquad at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 25 14:33:53 UTC 2018

Hello,
I am currently hosting a wiki through the provider Miraheze. One of the configuration changes that I made to my wiki is that I grandfathered oversight and checkuser rights into the “steward” group, which is what Miraheze uses for its “staff” group, and then I unset the oversight and checkuser groups to remove them in the config.
The oversight group was removed, however the checkuser group still exists, despite
unset( $wgGroupPermissions[‘checkuser’] );
being in the configuration. Does anyone know how to fix this? Even the sysadmins at Miraheze appear to be a little confused/unsure.
Thanks,Amanda