[MediaWiki-l] Database exceeds size limit

Brian Wolff bawolff at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 10:47:52 UTC 2018

So free memory (RAM) would usually be a separate concern from DB space
available. deleteArchivedRevisions.php doesn't store anything in the DB,
but maybe creating a large transaction (e.g. The DELETE * FROM Archive; or
perhaps that it does an IN query containing every revision) requires a lot
of memory (I'm not sure).

You could try starting to use compressOld.php on a single page, to see if
it works better doing one page rather than doing all the pages. e.g. If you
know there's a page with lots of revisions, find its page id (i.e. via
?action=info). Say it has a page id of 20. You could try doing:

cd maintinance/storage
php compressOld.php -s 20 -n 21 -t concat -c 3

(The -c option specifies chunk size. Higher values will get better
compression ratio, but then it replaces more revisions at once which
probably uses more memory. Default is 20). No idea if that would work, but
maybe worth a short.

--
Brian