[MediaWiki-l] Database exceeds size limit

Brett Langston brett.langston at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Dec 27 10:12:24 UTC 2018

Hi everyone,

I'm using MW version 1.29.2 on a shared hosting server  (PHP 7.2.13 and MySQL 5.5.60).  I've inadvertently exceeded the ISP's 1GB size limit of the database, with the result that I can't make any further changes. The wiki is still up and running, but I can't edit or delete content, no users can log in, and none of the PHP scripts will run from the maintenance shell extension. Because it's a shared hosting server, I don't have direct shell access to run PHP scripts.

My ISP has suggested that I reduce the size of the database using MySQL, so I can get it back under the threshold limit, and 'unfreeze' everything. In theory I should be able to delete unwanted old versions of pages in the usual way to free up space.

Using MySQL I've emptied the archive table (only 256 kb), but I need to be able to clear another 10 Mb or so without corrupting the database. What else can I delete safely to avoid crashing the wiki?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Brett