[MediaWiki-l] Understanding the generation of thumbs ...

[kgh] mediawiki at kghoffmeyer.de
Wed Mar 1 22:17:17 UTC 2017

Heiya, it's me again about this. ;)

I found out that the default generation of thumbs is tied to the
"$wgImageLimits" AND to the "$wgThumbLimits" configuration setting. If
one for example sets the following for a minimum initial creation of thumbs:

$wgImageLimits = array( array( 320, 240 ) );
$wgThumbLimits = array( 320 );

Result: one gets in minimum five thumbs: 120 (default preview size on
file pages), 180 (default preview size on "Special:ListFiles") as well
as 320 (default size for thumbs), 480 (1.5x of default size for thumbs)
and 640 (2x of default size for thumbs)

If one would change the setting for $wgImageLimits another three thumbs
would be created. To be frank, thumb generation is indeed not
controllable at all.

Cheers Karsten