[MediaWiki-l] Image thumbnailing in MediaWiki

Brian Wolff bawolff at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 07:10:46 UTC 2017

I should probably add to this, i believe (its been a while since i looked
at the code and i didnt double check), that in default generate thumbs on
parse mode, mediawiki will only generate the thumbs required at parse time
given the user options set for that parse. So if you are using an image
with default thumb size in a page, and there is a thumb size preference
that nobody uses, then that thumb size will never be generated.

--
bawolff

On Friday, July 28, 2017, Brian Wolff <bawolff at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> MediaWiki will by default only create image thumbs for needed sizes at
> time the size is used on a page. So for example when you add an image
> to a page, MW will create the thumbnail sizes needed to display an
> article. However, if the image is uploaded but never added to a normal
> page, then thumbnails for the image won't be generated (except for
> those needed on image description page, which are different sizes)
>
> There is a second mode mediawiki can operate in, where images are
> rendered on demand when someone views the image (so-called "404 thumb
> handling"). Wikimedia wikis use this mode. In this mode, thumbs are
> created on first view. Additionally in this mode, $wgImageLimits
> creates additional links on the image description page. This mode is
> generally more efficient (especially on page saves), and also more
> reliable in the event that there is a missing thumb.
>
> For information to set up 404-thumb rendering see
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Thumb.php
>
> --
> Brian
>
> On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 9:18 AM, Krabina Bernhard <krabina at kdz.or.at>
wrote:
>> Dear MediaWiki experts,
>>
>> I cannot really figure out the behaviour of MediaWiki regarding
thumbnailing. What I want to achieve is that my MediaWiki installation
produces thumbnails in a specified size.

>> What I did after reading through several help pages is this:
>> ---------------------------
>> # Images und Thumbnails
>> $wgThumbLimits = array( 80, 250, 390 );
>> $wgDefaultUserOptions['thumbsize'] = 1; // thumb size 250
>>
>> $wgImageLimits = array( array( 80, 90 ), array( 800, 600 ), array( 1280,
1024 ) );
>> $wgDefaultUserOptions['imagesize'] = 2; // image size 800, 600
>> ---------------------------
>>
>> In my opinion this should guarantee that for every image uploaded, there
is an 80, 250 and 390px sized thumbnail. In many cases this is true, but
there are some cases were I can find a 100px thumbnail, but no 80px
thumbnail.

>> If I understand it correctly, this can perfectly be the case if any user
sets his/her preference to 100px. I don't mind so much extra sizes to be
produced, but I want to make sure that a 80px thumbnail is there.

>> Maybe in the cases where it is not present the images were uploaded
before the above mentioned setting was made? But how can I get the wiki to
redo thumbnails in my desired size?