[MediaWiki-l] Request for MediaWiki installation assistance

Brian Wolff bawolff at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 22:40:30 UTC 2017

Wait what?

Why are you installing mediawiki in a kubernetes cluster on OS X?

If that sort of thing is your jam, by all means do it - but given that you
are asking for help im going to guess its not. In which case why not follow
standard install instructions (e.g. get a debian host somewhere, do:

apt-get install mysql php5 php5-apc apache2

And download/unpack the tarball to the web directory (/var/www/html)

Ultimately you may prefer a hosting solution, but if you want to do it
yourself, id suggest avoid doing things the hard way.
--
brian

On Wednesday, July 12, 2017, Scott MacLeod <helianth at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> the following.
>
> I was planning on hosting this at worlduniversityandschool.org (WUaS), but
> this wiki WUaS project seeks to be in each of all 358 languages in
> Wikipedia, as wiki schools for open teaching and learning, so I wonder if
> this is sensible. CC WUaS which is CC MIT OpenCourseWare-centric (in its 7
> languages) and CC Yale OYC-centric is also planning to create major online
> CC OCW universities in each of all ~200 countries' official languages to
> offer free online CC OCW university and high school degrees (Bach, Ph.D.,
> law, M.D. and I.B high school), so I also wonder how sensible it is to
host
> MediaWiki at worlduniversityandschool.org with this in mind. I'd welcome
> your thinking about this, Srishti and MediaWikans.  (WUaS seeks to be
> advertising free, and is also probably seeking a free host).
>
> So, it seems that only Miraheze - https://meta.miraheze.org/wiki/Miraheze
-
> from these MediaWiki hosting services -
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Hosting_services - would possibly be a good
> fit, since it's free, is advertising free, allows for one's own domain,
and
> allows visual editor use upon request.
>
> Per your suggestion (and another friend's at the WMF), I'll also join
> the #mediawiki
> IRC channel on Freenode.
>
> So how would I begin developing WUaS in MediaWiki further with Minikube?
> And would you recommend using WUaS's domain, or Miraheze or another host?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Cheers,
> Scott
> Scott_WUaS
>

> On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 5:19 PM, Amanda Quad <amandaquad at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>> I'm looking for some assistance with installing a personal MediaWiki
>> configuration for a site that I want to set up. I've looked through
almost
>> all of the predefined hosting services at https://mediawiki.org/wiki/Hos
>> ting_services and have not been successful at finding something that
>> works for me.
>> I do have a code repository of my preferred configuration settings,
>> extensions, skins, etc. that is in the works at GitHub - my goal is to
>> finalize it by the end of the month.
>> I was wondering if there was anyone who would be willing to assist me
just
>> with the initial installation of MediaWiki - I can manage just about
>> everything else from there.
>>
>> Sincerely,Amanda

> --
>
> --
> - Scott MacLeod - Founder & President
>
> - World University and School
> - http://worlduniversityandschool.org
>
> - 415 480 4577 <(415)%20480-4577>
> - http://scottmacleod.com
>

> - CC World University and School - like CC Wikipedia with best
STEM-centric