[MediaWiki-l] Installing Mediawiki

Gabriel Wicke gwicke at wikimedia.org
Mon Jul 3 22:25:41 UTC 2017

John,

as part of a larger effort this year to move production service deploys to
containers, we in the Services team have started work towards a
container-based development environment, which I hope will also eventually
provide a convenient way to distribute a fully functional MediaWiki system
for other uses. Current work is a continuation of mediawiki-containers, and
early alpha setup instructions are currently available in this README:

https://github.com/wikimedia/mediawiki-containers/blob/master/README.k8s.md

Currently, this sets up MediaWiki with VisualEditor, Math & a few other
extensions, MariaDB, RESTBase, Parsoid, Mathoid, EventBus, Kafka,
ChangeProp, and Citoid, all in a Kubernetes cluster managed by minikube.
Our current focus is on building the tooling for development use cases
(such as enabling a quick edit - test cycle), but much of the work towards
minimizing resource consumption will benefit third party installs as well.

Gabriel

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 9:40 AM, John <phoenixoverride at gmail.com> wrote:

> So I have been primarily using just the core mediawiki setup. But as time
> passes and I see more and more advanced systems integrated into mediawiki,
> getting a "Standard" or common setup of mediawiki is getting harder and
> harder for basic users to deploy. We are now getting into requiring
> restbase, parsoid, composer and probably a few other systems that I am not
> recalling at the moment.
>
> What does the community think about getting something together that
> simplifies/automates this? What I am thinking is something that could be
> used on a newly created box that installs and configures the needed
> components in a "standard" configuration?
>
> Right now the setup is less than straight forward, you go to add
> Extension:Math (which has been a simple project until recently). Where you
> are told it needs Restbase, and mathiod. We actually include the
> wording *Unfortunately,
> there is no well tested guide on installing Mathoid
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Mathoid> and Restbase
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Restbase> to work with
> the Math extension *If we don't even have a good guide why have we
> converted a very high use extension to that? We then forward them to docs
> spread out between mediawiki.org wikitech, and the vendor's website.
>
> More and more users are hitting brick walls and giving up because they
> cannot figure out how to get these different systems talking to each other.
> Ideally we would have install/config scripts for at least Debian and Ubuntu
> systems with CentOS probably being the next highest used distro.

Gabriel Wicke
Principal Engineer, Wikimedia Foundation