[MediaWiki-l] deleteOldRevisions.php is an accident waiting to happen

Greg Rundlett (freephile) greg at freephile.com
Sat Jul 1 18:10:42 UTC 2017

On Sat, Jul 1, 2017 at 12:07 AM, Jean Valjean <jeanvaljean2718 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Today, a friend of mine had a few really long wiki pages whose revision
> histories he wanted to delete (specifically, chapters 1-117 of The Count of
> Monte Cristo), to save some space in his database. So, he went to do php
> deleteOldRevisions.php --delete and then, oops, his finger slipped, and he
> accidentally hit enter when he meant to enter the page IDs. So he lost the
> old revisions for every page on his wiki. (See
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:DeleteOldRevisions.php )

That really stinks, but that's why I use a simple script [1] to backup
wikis in seconds prior to DB maintenance.

With this script saved in my ~/bin folder, I can simply "backup.db.sh wiki"

[1] https://freephile.org/wiki/Mysqldump

Greg Rundlett
https://eQuality-Tech.com <https://equality-tech.com/>
https://freephile.org