[MediaWiki-l] Linking to Wikipedia and Commons

Bartosz Dziewoński matma.rex at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 13:04:21 UTC 2017

On 2017-02-05 04:53, Markus wrote:
> Dear developers,
>
> _Question 1_
> how do you implement/enable this in a Mediawiki:
> - internal links to Wikipedia
>   like: [[wikipedia:de:Berlin|Berlin]]
> - internal links to Commons
>   like: [[file:Berlin_night.jpg|miniature|Berlin]]
>
> _Question 2_
> This is requested in most Mediawiki installations.
> But in many Mediawiki installations it does not work.
> So I fear that a lot of Wiki maintainers do not knew,
> how to implement/enable this...
>
> Maybe it is possible to implement/enable it *as default*
> in all Mediawiki in the delivery state?

Answer 1: This should already work out-of-the-box. But if you installed
MediaWiki a long time ago and were only upgrading it, you might be
missing some mappings. To add them, you can manually execute the SQL
query from /maintenance/interwiki.sql in MediaWiki core, or install the
Interwiki extension to get a web interface to manage them. (The
extension is bundled with recent MediaWiki tarballs.)

Answer 2: Just set $wgUseInstantCommons = true; in your
LocalSettings.php
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgUseInstantCommons>. The
MediaWiki installer gives you an option to enable this, too.

--
Bartosz Dziewoński