[MediaWiki-l] Introducing the MediaWiki Platform Team!

Jasmine Smith jassmith55 at outlook.com
Mon Apr 3 14:28:34 UTC 2017

Out of interest, will this 'platform team' only work to serve Wikimedia or the wider MediaWiki user community?

One of my vices with the WMF/mediawiki is that development is to benefit the WMF.

The WMF uses a number of extensions which are highly sought after by those wanting to set up their own wikis (SecurePoll, CentralAuth, Site Matrix, etc) but  provides no support for them, says they are only for WMF but released anyway, and unless you know PHP, those extensions are locked off.

I don't feel like the WMFs goal to openly share knowledge applies in these cases, and development of MediaWiki isn't to support the wider community of users.