[MediaWiki-l] [SF] datepicker - select field for year with more years

Yaron Koren yaron at wikiworks.com
Tue Sep 13 19:40:50 UTC 2016

Hi,

Sorry I didn't respond to this before. For anyone who's wondering, Stefan
is asking about the "datepicker" input type from the Semantic Forms
extension:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Semantic_Forms/Input_types/Datepicker

It in turn gets its functionality from the jQuery UI library's "Datepicker"
module:

https://jqueryui.com/datepicker/#dropdown-month-year

Stefan - it's true that the year dropdown only shows a 10-year range around
the currently-selected year - i.e. 2006 to 2026 - which is annoying.
However, what you can do is select 2006, then open the dropdown again and
the earliest selectable year will now be 1996, and then keep going like
that.

That's also annoying to do, and a lot of users probably won't even realize
that it's possible. What I would strongly recommend is to instead use the
default "date" input type, which is better for historical dates -
"datepicker" is really only intended for picking dates around the present
time.

-Yaron