[MediaWiki-l] Managing updates of Mediawiki with git (?)

Dr. Michael Bonert michael at librepathology.org
Fri Sep 2 04:57:00 UTC 2016

LCJones and Brian Wolff:
Thanks for taking the time to write a reply.

The comments were useful.  I am still trying to navigate through the
extensions update. I do want to stick with git.

Updating the extensions seems simple enough:

$ cd ParserFunctions/
$ git pull
$ git checkout origin/REL1_27
HEAD is now at d0a5d10... Creating new REL1_27 branch

What has me confused is that on "https://.../thewiki/Special:Version"
still shows the old 'ParserFunctions' version.

I then tried...
---
thewiki/extensions$ mv OLD__ParserFunctions/ ParserFunctions/
thewiki/extensions$ git clone
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/p/mediawiki/extensions/ParserFunctions.git
thewiki/extensions$ ParserFunctions# git checkout origin/REL1_27
---
The last command -- gives me a result that reads
HEAD is now at d0a5d10... Creating new REL1_27 branch

Interesting is that "Special:Version" still shows the old
'ParserFunctions' version.  I'm still missing something.

I am fairly sure git pulled the newer extensions and I checked-out the
right version... but an update is somehow missing.

It looks like MediaWiki isn't finding the new extensions -- I'm trying to
go to 1.27.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Composer - talks of updating
vendor.git.  I did do that --
---
cd ...thewiki/vendor
# git pull
# git checkout origin/REL1_27
HEAD is now at f049e1a... Bump wikimedia/ip-set to 1.1.0
---

Is it is related to 'composer.local.json' - which is discussed in
connection with 'Composer'?  I did try creating a
"composer.local.json" from the sample.
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Composer  ???
I haven't wrapped my head about this.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Michael