[MediaWiki-l] Help with SWM

Larry Martell larry.martell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 03:16:37 UTC 2016

I am a total newbie with SMW, and I've inherited a system that no one
knows any details about.

I have a few questions:

How can I find out what and where the database behind the SMW is? I
would think there is a config file somewhere, but I can't find it.

When I look at a page with browsebysubject I see a type associated
with the data, e.g.:

{u'property': u'HasSide', u'dataitem': [{u'item': u'Left', u'type': 2}]}
{u'property': u'HasReferenceDataset', u'dataitem': [{u'item':
u'RefData, u'type': 9}]}

What do these types mean?

I have been asked to edit 1000's of pages to remove 2 fields and add a
new field. To do this with the API would I get the data with
browsebysubject and modify that dict? But then how would I write that
back?

Or would I get the raw data with index.php?action=raw, modify that,
and then write it back with edit
(https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Edit)

Thanks much!
Larry