[MediaWiki-l] Including a resource

Dennis Roczek dennisroczek at libreoffice.org
Sat Oct 31 13:35:35 UTC 2015

Hi saper,

actually I do want to avoid using a bot for that.

No, I do not have to use a RSS feed - that was a first fast test as I
already had the extension installed. I can provide the number in any
possible way - by a text file, a web service or whatever. Actually I do
not want to use a bot as this has to be run additional (and in a perfect
world on our server). Isn't there any possibility to include the "text"
without line breaks?

Regards,

Dennis

Am 28.10.2015 um 12:59 schrieb Marcin Cieslak:
> On 2015-10-27, Dennis Roczek <dennisroczek at libreoffice.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I try to include a simple number from another page. I have all
>> possibilities how the number is provided. I tried to use the
>> Extension:RSS for including, but sadly this extension is adding a <p>
>> tags around the transclusion of the RSS feed.
>>
>> You can see one of my tries at
>> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:Dennisroczek (the number 121
>> which has a few newlines around the 121).
>>
>> Additional you can see my test template which transcludes the number
>> 121. As you can see in the wiki code (and in the history) I tried to
>> experiment a few with CSS.
>> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/WikiAction/edit/Template:Test
>
> Do you have to use RSS?
>
> What I would do (also for the benefits of caching) is to update
> the number externally by the bot editing the template.
>
> I have a pywikipedia bot that updates currency tables from RSS:
>
> https://bitbucket.org/plwiki/bot/src/66425d1aea15b8e4cacb63544840ca8be
bbf2b41/meta/kursy/?at=default

> Here are its contributions:
>
> https://pl.wikinews.org/w/index.php?limit=50&tagfilter=&title=Specjaln
a%3AWk%C5%82ad&contribs=user&target=Saperka